Botulinum toxin, BOTOX©, is a
medicine that can be used to decrease tone or unwanted spasms in a specific
muscle or muscles. It does this by stopping the impulse between the nerve
endings and the muscle which would otherwise produce muscle contraction.
Botulinum toxin is the same toxin that can cause botulism, a form of food
poisoning. It is however, given in extremely small amounts and is placed
directly into the muscle effecting only the area it has contacted with. The
medication itself is painless and not known to leave any painful sensation after
it is given.
The above nformation
referenced from: BOTOX© Information Sheet Frank S.
© Pediatric Stroke
All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use
Pediatric Stroke Network copyright materials can not be copied in whole or in
part by any person, organization or corporation other than PSN, it's divisions
and units without the prior written permission of the Legal Department at the
Pediatric Stroke Network.
before maneuvering this web site.
If you have questions or
comments regarding this website,
email the webmaster